Monday, May 19, 2008

2 Chronicles 7:14

"If my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

This passage is one I have been meditating on for the past couple of weeks. Sometimes I become overwhelmed by all that we as Christians "should" be doing. There are plenty of ministry opportunities and plenty of personal struggles to overcome, and in the midst of all of these mind consuming tasks we can lose sight of what we really should be doing.

It is easy for me to begin to rely on structure and organization more than Christ Himself. It's easy for me to be strengthened by the Lord only to walk away and start doing things on my own...Humble myself.

It is a challenge for me to find time alone to seek God. Fatigue, children, chores etc. all press on me to seek them first. Meet those needs and THEN spend intimate time with the Lord. However, this way of approaching things is faulty. The to do list will never truly be done and our time with the Lord will always be pushed to "later"...Pray...Seek His face.

There are certain sins that I am tempted with on a regular basis. Self reliance, pride, lack of self-control...the list goes on. Instead of feeling as if I'll never get it right. I need to confess and turn from each failure. God says that His strength is perfected in weakness. Allowing Christ to be our strength we can overcome any obstacle, even sin...Turn from my wicked ways.

When your days' responsibilities and life itself is pressing down on you. Hear the words of our Father in heaven. "Humble yourself and pray, and seek my face and turn from your wicked ways." The result is forgiveness and healing.

3 comments:

Kate said...

I have the opposite problem--I have zero structure in my life!! I fail to see the different opportunities God gives me to get things done and I ignore them because I am so focused on other things. I guess the root of both of our problems is pride--thinking we know more than God on how our days should go. Thanks for your thoughts--very encouraging!!

Anonymous said...

Are you watching me??? You just read my book. Thank You, Lord.

Audie said...

Sarah, thanks for sharing. I can definitely relate even though I don't have a husband and 3 children to tend to. It's great to be reminded that we need to humbly give it all to God and seek HIM first. He'll provide us the strength and time to tend to everything else when our relationship with HIM becomes the treasured priority.